CAROL GILLIGAN AND LAWRENCE KOHLBERG
Kohlberg developed a theory of moral development. The basic criterion for moral development in Kohlberg's view is judgment.
You will learn about both Kohlberg's and Gilligan's theories by reading the following texts:
- Chapter 5: Socialization--Chapter Overview from the text, Sociology by John Macionis contains good background on Kohlberg, Gilligan, and other developmental theorists.
- Moral Reasoning and Gender
- Kohlberg's and Gilligan's Stages of Ethical Development
- Men and Women: Justice and Compassion
- Gilligan's In a Different Voice with Reading Questions
- Ecological Identification, Friendship, and Moral Development: Justice and Care as Complementary Dimensions of Morality by Dale T. Snauwaert of Adelphi University.
RETURN TO English 66 Home Page